Thursday, September 08, 2005

Thursday Night Lights

So, today has been pretty rough. My car died on the way to the shop this morning, and I had to call Triple-A to have it towed 5 blocks. Still no word on how much this fiasco's going to cost me, or when I'll get it back. Then I found out that, while my conflict inquiry cleared with flying colors, the job that was going to start on Monday is on hold indefinitely. Hopefully they'll come to their senses soon and bring me in.

Then I went to get a haircut, and the barber was this Russian Jewish guy, and when he was cleaning up around my neck, and I asked him if he'd shave just a little under the t-shirt line, he looks at me and says, "Getting older. Hair grow everywhere." Then he starts laughing. Thanks dude, you're a real pal. The guy couldn't have been a year or two older than I am, but I didn't have the heart to tell him that this has nothing to do with getting older, and that my summer coat started growing in back in high school. Bastard.

And if that didn't wreck my day enough, I went out for a run and my new running shoes, which my feet are evidently not quite used to, rubbed the back of my left foot raw and it started to bleed. So, I walked home, wincing with every step, and turned on the TV.

TV. Thanks to TV, my day just got better. Right now I'm flipping back and forth like a madman between two channels. On the first, the Raiders at the Pats, opening game of the NFL season. I've got Brady, Dillon, Vinatieri AND Randy Moss on my fantasy squad, The Los Angeles Straphangers of Jackson. This week I'm playing Briley, who drafted Peyton Manning with his #1 pick, then proceeded to draft the rest of the Colts team. Go Ravens. On the second, the Sox are losing to the Angels, which is somewhat painful to watch, but whatever, as long as the Yankees lose, right?

Not only am I flipping back and forth between both channels, I'm also toggling back and forth between 3 different websites. Wireless internet has got to be the greatest invention of the past 20 years, aside from the iPod. I've got my fantasy football league homepage open in one window, CBS Sportsline open in another for baseball stats on the Sox game, and I'm writing this post. I'm also carrying on two conversations over instant messenger. This being my first real experience combining the wireless internet with the TV watching, I have to say that I'm a huge fan, and I look forward to many happy years of watching sports and surfing the web at the same time.

Sports are great, I love sports. However, sports aren't even the main event tonight. The Sox are on TV, and the NFL is finally back in season, and neither of them are the main event. What is, you may ask? Sing it with me. California, here we come, right back where we started from. That's right, The OC is back!! Season premiere tonight at 8. Best part about living on the Left Coast is that the football game started at 6:00 here, so I can watch most of it before The OC starts. Early sports open so many doors.

The Sports Guy had a great article today, an exchange of emails back and forth with Josh Schwartz, the creator of The OC. You can read it here. Asks some great questions, and gets some great answers. Very enjoyable.

I can not wait for The OC tonight. I'm also pretty excited about Reunion, a new show that premieres after that. All in all, this Thursday afternoon is leading into a great Thursday evening. I hope our cable bill is paid up.

No comments: