Wednesday, January 18, 2006

In Your Honor

I decided to make this weekend my "In Your Honor" weekend.

For instance, in honor of Jack Bauer's triumphant Ali-like return to Prime Time in 24, I decided to drink some Jack Daniels while I watched, before heading over to some friends of ours' annual MLK weekend party.

In honor of such fallen heroes as Kurt Cobain, Elliott Smith, Nick Drake, and many others, Amanda and I went to the Ecstasy: In and About Altered States exhibit at the Museum of Contemporary Art. All of the "pieces" and "installations" were either about drugs, made with drugs (or while on drugs, probably), or designed to simulate the feeling of being on drugs. It was actually really cool. The strangest thing I saw there was a fountain, in a large glass case that was not entirely inaccessible to the general public. Just a white fountain, with what looked like a small amount of water flowing through it. We walked over to the wall, though, to read the description, and were absolutely astonished to learn that it was not water flowing through the fountain, but LSD. LSD!! Probably one of the ten most mindblowing things I've ever seen.

And in honor of the aforementioned Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., I decided to join a gym. I'm not sure what the connection is there, though I certainly feel like there might be one somewhere. Regardless, Amanda was happy. Not as happy as if I'd given her Valentine Flowers, but hey, it's a start.

No comments: