Saturday, January 28, 2006

All You Want to Do Is Kick It In

Amanda and I saw INXS last night at the Gibson Amphitheatre at Universal. Looks like our boy J.D. might be a Texas fan, while drummer Jon Fariss looks to be among the USC faithful. I wonder if they watched the Rose Bowl together. (note: I did not take this picture. We were nowhere near this close.)

Image hosting by Photobucket

Anyway, the concert was awesome. The opening act was Rockstar: INXS runner-up Marty Casey and his band, which was unfortunately named "The Lovehammers." Sounds like the not-too-subtlety exhibited by bands like KISS and AC/DC. Didn't work too well for Marty. The band pretty much sucked. We only saw three songs of theirs, including his song "Trees" from the show, which wasn't really played too well, and a cover of Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire," which was absolutely horrible.

Between Marty and INXS, I went down to the lobby to get a couple of beers, and I saw Rockstar: INXS also-ran, Brandon, who placed like 8th or 9th on the show, in the lobby signing autographs and mugging for pictures. I guess he stretched his 15 minutes into like 18 or 19. He's pretty tall.

INXS finally took the stage and played for almost two hours, I think. They were awesome. We had a really good time, though I think I enjoyed it more than Amanda did. J.D. was really doing a great job up there with the band, and they played a really great show. Just a kick-ass show. Before they came on, we made friends with some of the folks sitting behind us, two guys in their fifties named Tim and Laird, and their wives. They loved us, I think b/c we made them feel young, and because we laughed at their jokes. Laird and I also talked a lot about the Rose Bowl and Vince Young, and I'm not even the one who brought it up. Anyway, they were partying pretty well, so I hope that when I'm in my fifties, and a band I really like holds a competition to find a new lead singer, then goes back on tour, I'm able to go see them in concert and party just as hard.

Here's the set list, which I'm sure is what you've all been waiting for.

Suicide Blond
New Sensation
Devil's Party
Mystify
Disappear
By My Side
Afterglow
Taste It
Original Sin
You Don't Belong to Me
Never Let You Go
Need You Tonight
What You Need
Kick
Devil Inside
Pretty Vegas

Encore:
The Stairs
Never Tear Us Apart
Don't Change

No comments: