Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Strike First, Strike Hard, No Mercy Sir!

College basketball season is upon us, and Texas has started the season ranked #2. That seems to have worked out pretty well for our football team, so let's hope it translates for the basketball team as well.

This is Brad Buckman. He's a senior forward for the Longhorns, and he's been my favorite player since his freshman year when we went to the Final 4 and lost to Syracuse, who ultimately ended up winning the whole thing. In that game, our "star" player, T.J. Ford, played scared and was never able to turn into the player we all thought he was. We had no upperclassmen leadership on the floor, and we lost to a better team, led by soon to be multimillionaire freshman Carmelo Anthony. Buckman was the only Longhorn playing his heart out late in the game, grabbing every rebound that came his way, and diving for loose balls (sounds like my buddy Jeremy's prom night - I know, I need to stop making that joke, especially since I stole it in the first place), and I've been impressed with him ever since. I checked our schedule today, and we have an astounding 18 GAMES on tv this season, and I'm gonna watch them all, or at least try to watch them all.

Also, in honor of Brad Buckman's senior year, I'm going to post Buckman's line for each game here in the blog, just for the hell of it. I can't help it, I'm gonna miss him in the burnt orange next year.

Tonight, we opened against the Southern Jaguars. Buckman's line was as follows:

16 points on 6-for-9 shooting, 2-for-2 from the 3 point line, 4 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 blocks (yeah, boy!), and 1 steal. 2 turnovers.

Look out for this kid, he f'ing rocks. Also, doesn't he look just like Billy Zabka, the guy who plays Johnny in the Karate Kid?





Speaking of F'ING ROCKS, I just picked up the new live Wilco album, Kicking Television. It is unbelievable. There's a decent chance I like this band more than anyone in the world likes this band, but as unbiased as I can be, I can tell you that this album is great. Check out some of the songs here on their website. You will not be disappointed, unless you only like crappy music.

No comments: