Tuesday, November 29, 2005

I Believe In America...

That's the first line from what movie? Anybody know?

So, I just popped into this little Persian market down the street from my apartment on my way home from work to pick up some hummus, pita, falafel, etc. for my Sunday School class this weekend, and I'm in the checkout lane and as she's ringing up my stuff I notice a sign that says "cash only." I asked her, "Do you not have that little thing to swipe the card?" and I did a little swiping motion with my hand. She smiled and said, in a thick accent, "Of course we do. This is America."

Is that what the world thinks of us? Even people who LIVE HERE??

The funny thing is (hopefully), I had about 40 bucks in my pocket, but I swiped my card anyway. I'm not going to be the one to break the stereotype and ruin it for the rest of the country.

No comments: