Saturday, November 12, 2005

Friday Night Lite

It's been awhile since I posted with any semblance of regularity, and I'm going to try to rectify that now, if for no other reason than the fact that it just gave me a good excuse to use the word "rectify."

When I first moved here, I was sitting at home all day watching TV and posting on this blog. About a month ago, I got a job, so I haven't been home with hours on end to kill in this manner. I don't really want to get in the habit of posting while I'm at work, for reasons that seem to escape some people I know, and truthfully, when I get home at night, I'm usually too tired to sit at the computer and try to think of something funny to say. I work in a law firm, it's not like I'm out fighting fires or building houses, but let's face it, I tire easily. That's a secret to no one.

This weekend, though, Amanda is in Canada and The Roommate is in Cincinnati, so I've got the house to myself, the computer to myself, and more importantly, the TV to myself. So, with a case of Diet Coke, The Roommate's newly purchased seasons 1 and 2 of The West Wing, and a Tivo box that is literally 99% full, I figured this was a GREAT opportunity to catch up on a ton of TV, mainly the shows that I've been putting off watching for some reason.

This is what I watched tonight. Friday night. Sitting in my apartment in scrubs and a sweatshirt. Please, hold your applause. Really, it's quite unnecessary.

Reunion (1 hr.)
This was last week's episode. I'll get to this week's in a bit. I learned that 1989 was a crazy year. I learned that people in Seattle wore flannel in 1989, and that the movie Hudson Hawk was supposed to be a HUGE hit. I wish I were kidding when I say that I saw that movie three times in the theater, on its opening weekend. I think I contributed to about 15-20% of its box office take. I also learned that women in 1989 used much much less hairspray than they did in 1988, at least according to the show's writers. Also, judging by this episode, the most successful music act in 1989 were the Fine Young Cannibals.

Numbers (1 hr.)
This is the single best show that I can't believe is still on TV. (This is different from the single best show that is no longer on TV, which, as of today, goes to Arrested Development. If it weren't for The OC, Reunion, Family Guy, and the Simpsons, I'd probably boycott the Fox network all together.) It doesn't really have a single quality that you would want in a hit TV show. Here's the premise: it's about an FBI agent (Fleischmann from Northern Exposure) who gets help solving crimes from his brother, who is a math teacher. Their father is Judd Hirsch. It takes place in LA, though Fleischmann inexplicably speaks with a New York accent. Also, the math teacher has a colleague who also teaches math who also helps him solve crimes for the FBI, played by Peter McNichol, who is better known as either The Biscuit from Ally McBeal or the squirrelly guy from Ghostbusters 2. An esteemed career, to be sure. This dude plays such an over the top dorky character that the only thing he's missing is a pocket protector and tape on his glasses. And glasses. Oh, and I forgot to mention that the plot of each episode is incredibly far-fetched (even more than the math teacher out-sleuthing the feds), and the dialogue is completely ridiculous. And in spite of all of this (or possibly because of all of this), I can't get enough.

Reunion (1 hr.)
This week's episode. 1990. A time of innocence, evidenced by the nanny (who may or may not be a murderer) sleeping with the abusive, newly separated adopted dad of her best friend's illegitimate baby whose real, unknowing father is an ex-con preacher (who may or may not be a murderer). Is there anything else that really needs to be said here? Ahh, the joys of Fox programming.

The O.C. (1 hr.)
Ok, we're back. THIS was a good one. It all starts with Marissa waking up in bed with Summer, which is certainly the right foot to lead with. The shameless plug for Peter Gallagher's new blues CD was, well, shameless, but that's what we LOVE about Fox programming. (Entertainment Weekly gave the CD an F, by the way. I think they were probably being generous.) This Chilly (or is it Chili, or maybe Chile?) character at Marissa's new school is awesome. Ho. Ly. Cow. Aryan Antagonist Taylor Townsend has one smokin hot mom. This show is great. I don't get the whole surfing thing, though. I mean, I get it, I understand it's a sport that people like, I just don't get it. It's like hockey. Some people like it, I guess, but I just have no use for it. At least surfing doesn't waste valuable Sports Center minutes. I'd also like to announce that I'm over the Jeri Ryan era on this show. At first it all seemed to work out, she was conniving and she wore a lot of tank tops. Now, it just seems forced. Enough already. At least give her a tank top. We haven't seen her in one since like the third episode of the season.

Numbers (1 hr.)
Man. I'm starting to feel a little fatigued, entering my 5th straight hour of TV. This one started with Fleischmann, his math teacher brother, and their over the top dorky friend playing, of all things, frisbee golf. I don't think I've played frisbee golf since I was in college. That's going to have to change. I like being outside, but I'm not going to wander around aimlessly. I like "competing," but I really like NOT exerting myself unnecessarily. Is there a better combination of the two? Well, other than actual golf, I mean. But I have a feeling frisbee golf is much, much cheaper. Seriously, how is this show still on the air and Arrested Development got the boot?? This show sucks. I love it.

I think it's probably a good idea for me to get some sleep. All this TV watching, man, I'm all tuckered out.

No comments: