Sunday, August 07, 2005

In the Locust Wind Comes the Rattle and Hum

(listening to: Bullet the Blue Sky, U2)

Joshua Tree National Park should be on everybody's "must-see" lists, just like the Grand Canyon, Mount Rushmore, and the Paris Hilton sex tape.

As I mentioned, Jeff and I stopped there just inside California last Thursday on our way to Los Angeles. It was getting a little late in the afternoon, and the sun was going down, so because we (mostly me, because I'm a huge wimp) were a little worried about rattlesnakes and tarantulas, we didn't really venture too far into the park, and just took some pictures near the road. I'm sure we could have gotten some that were much better, but I think that two of them were pretty damn good, even though they're of the same tree (and not even a real Joshua Tree, at that). I will definitely be heading back there sometime, though, and I will make sure I get there with the sun blazing overhead, scaring away the creepy crawly things that scare the crap out of me.

While there, I made an emergency phone call to my friend Melissa (who recently informed me that she is a faithful reader of my ramblings). Melissa is what you might call a huge freak for U2. She's probably seen them in concert maybe 40 times (once with me on the floor at Madison Square Garden - by the end of the night, I'm pretty sure my vocal chords were bleeding profusely), and I kid you not when I say that might be more of an underestimation than an exaggeration. Miss, I invite you to leave a comment to lend some veracity to this claim, if you are so inclined. Needless to say, she was completely jealous that I was there, and hopefully excited about the call. Miss, these are for you...


This happens to be the coolest tree I have ever seen.


Again, the same tree, but looking exponentially cooler in black and white. Definitely going to be framed.


Jeff at Joshua Tree National Park sign.


Ben at Joshua Tree National Park sign.

No comments: