Saturday, February 10, 2007

WSOPC: Day One

Well, day one started off pretty well. Micah and I slept until about 11, and then Jenn drove us to meet up with Leah. First thing on our agenda was lunch at Texadelphia. Mmmmm, good. Leah and I split a cheesesteak and a turkey sandwich, which even after all these years since I've been there, is stil the best thing on the menu. After that we hit the Co-op for 30 minutes of drooling over all of the burnt orange. I was able to excercise a modicum of self-restraint, buying only a shirt for Amanda and a pair of gym shorts for myself. I could easily spend my paycheck in there.

Sarah (who Leah is staying with) got out of school at 3:00, so we picked her up and she drove us downtown for some coffee before our 5:00 appointment. Which was awesome. I can't go into too many specifics, but this is basically what happened: We (along with about 35 other teams) filed into a room and took a 50 question test, which after 15 minutes the VH1 people took our answers into another room and graded them. They came back after about 10 minutes and announced that of the 36 teams, only three teams passed the test. At that point we kind of shrugged and thought "Well, at least we tried, now at least we've got a fun weekend in Austin ahead of us." They called out the names of the first two teams that passed the test.

Then they called ours. We were so excited! Leah screamed so loud and we jumped up and hi-fived and headed out into the lobby with the other two teams to wait for our interviews. They took us first for the interviews, which is good because that was before the excitement and shock really set in. We think our interviews went really well, but I probably can't get into specifics on that either. They're going to call us tonight to let us know whether or not we get to come back in tomorrow for the competition.

We went out for a celebratory cocktail (or two or ten), and what better way to do that than Mexican Martinis at Trudy's? Then to dinner at Guero's (awesome Tex-Mex - first time eating there). Adam picked me up there and we went to The Parlor to see his girlfriend's band play. I was expecting something Pixies-influenced, for some reason. They were more like The Clash mixed with Poison. Enjoyable, though. Very enjoyable.

Today we're getting ready to head over to campus for lunch, then to the Horns game. We're playing Iowa State. I'm pretty freaking excited to see Kevin Durant play. The kid can ball, no doubt about it.

I'll try to check in later on and report back about the Phone Call tonight. Also, after I get back to LA, I'm going to try to get some pictures posted.

No comments: