Thursday, February 22, 2007

Lone Star Belt Buckles and Old Faded Levis

I had a hard time deciding between the post title I used, and its alternative, "I'm Gonna Rent Myself a House in the Shade of the Freeway." I guess if that's the hardest thing I have to do all day then I'm ok.

For my Valentine's Day present, Amanda got us tickets to see Willie Nelson and Jackson Browne (indirect namesake of the infamous "Jackson Brownes", our Pub Quiz team from back in Jackson). They're playing tonight at the Gibson Amphitheater at Universal, which is where we saw the revamped version of INXS last January. It's a great venue, there's really not a bad seat in the house. Last time we were there, we sat in the highest section, maybe 10 rows from the top, I think, and they were still great seats. This time, Amanda splurged on the good seats, though, and I couldn't be more excited. And all I got her was a lousy bracelet from Tiffany's. I definitely got the better gift.

I saw Willie once before, at Memphis in May back in 2001, along with Dave Matthews, String Cheese, and the Black Crowes. It was a pretty good day. It was also the culmination of a solid week and a half of partying and travelling over what I think was a four-state area (I know we saw Dave Matthews in Birmingham, and I think we were in New Orleans as well at some point) with my buddy Hinkle, after we finished our classes but before law school graduation. We were in Memphis for Garrett's bachelor party, and I was so tired (and drunk) from our 10 day tour, that, well, that's the night the "C-Note" nickname took hold. If you know the story, you know the story. If not, I ain't retelling it. This is a family joint.

Anyway, Willie was great, and I'm so excited to see him again, but I think I'm more excited to see Jackson Browne. The guy is just a rock legend. I mean, the man gave Bruce Springsteen his first major gig, taking him and the E Street band on tour as his opening act back in the day. If that's not pure genius, I don't know what is. He epitomizes the California rock sound, post-Beach Boys surfer music, pre-Red Hot Chili Peppers funk-rock. In fact, I think I just came up with a definitive timeframe for classic rock.

I'm sure I'll be back tomorrow to post the set lists. I have my trusty little geeky notebook to write it all down, as well as the camera to hopefully snap some good pics.

No comments: