Wednesday, June 21, 2006

It's a Bird, It's a Plane...

I'm pretty excited about this new Superman movie coming out. I get excited about movies. I just saw a commercial for a movie about crossword puzzles, and I practically jumped off the couch, I was so excited. But it's the comic book movies that really get me going, which is weird b/c I never really got into comic books as a kid, and I'm not into them now. I just love the comic book movies, and I always have. Batman, Spiderman, X-Men, what have you. But Superman is, as they say, the Grandaddy of Them All.

Superman is just head and shoulders above the rest of the gang, not just in terms of powers (he can fly, for Pete's sake), but also in terms of interest and marketability. People talk about Superman all the time. I really enjoyed David Carradine's Superman soliloquy in Kill Bill 2, but what I saw today was much more interesting, in terms of Superman's influence on social commentary, and vice versa.

I read two articles online today about the new Superman movie, one insinuating that Superman is gay, and another comparing Superman to Jesus Christ. How is that even possible?? If that isn't proof positive that EVERYBODY feels somehow connected to this icon, I don't know what is.

Now back to this crossword puzzle movie. What's an 8-letter word for "movie that makes Ben Dorfman excited to an embarassing degree"?? WORDPLAY. In select theaters now. Starts Friday in Los Angeles and the rest of the country.

No comments: