Wednesday, October 05, 2005

CAN YOU DIG IT??

Well, the Red Sox are down 2 games to the White Sox in a best of 5 series, which doesn't bode well, however, they did come back last year against the Yankees and win 4 in a row, and they did come back against the A's 2 years ago and win 3 in a row, so I guess they're not out of it yet. I can guarantee you that on Friday afternoon, between the hours of 1:19 p.m., PST (why do baseball games start at the most ass-backward times??) and 4:19-ish, I will be virtually unavailable on my cell phone. Please, Andrea, if you're reading this, don't call me then. Any other time is great, but not then.

Andrea, my sister, who has proven herself the smartest of the three of us by moving to Maui 4 years ago and almost never looking back, has quite a history of jinxing sporting events for me. The most egregious example of this happened back in the Spring of 1998 - I was a senior in college and she a freshman, and Ole Miss was playing Valparaiso in the NCAA tournament. We (the Rebs) were up by 4 with like 0:48 left in the game, when Andrea calls me and says something to the effect of, "They're gonna win, they're gonna win!!"

I immediately yelled at her for taunting the Sports Gods, told her in no uncertain terms (which she repeatedly ignores) to NEVER do that again, and hung up the phone, in the hopes of making amends for my younger sister's transgression. The Sports Gods were not swayed by my ex post facto loyalty, and following this, SEC Player of the Year Ansu Sesay missed four straight free-throws, including two with 0:04 left on the clock, Ole Miss up by two. Valpo then inbounds the ball to Bryce Drew (son of coach Homer Drew - DOH!), and he dribbles almost the length of the floor and hits a 3-pointer at the buzzer to win the game. Normally, since that fateful day, I try not to answer Andrea's calls during big games. She's got uncanny timing.

Anyway, she called again today, in the 5th inning, Red Sox up 4-2, and I was excited to hear from her, momentarily forgetting my "No Calls From Andrea During Big Games" rule, and answered the phone. "Hey!" I said, to which she responded, "Hey, how are you??" to which I responded, "SHIT!" because it was at that exact moment that Tadahito Iguchi of the White Sox hit a three-run homer to put the Pale Hose ahead 5-4, which remained the score until the end of the game.

I only have myself to blame.


If there is anything, however, that could make me feel better about the Sox loss today, it is this:

The Warriors - The Ultimate Director's Cut (you're gonna have to scroll down just a bit after you click on this to get the full effect)

Came out yesterday, and I just found out about it. I'm getting numb just thinking about it. All new special features, behind the scenes stuff, the works. I don't think there is any commentary track, but I could be wrong, and who really cares anyway. All I can say is, Neola, Tommy, Karen, Brandy, Robert, Mac, you get yourselves to Los Angeles, and I mean right quick.

Be lookin' good, Warriors. All the way back to Coney. You hear me babies? Good.

No comments: