Saturday, July 08, 2006

Why the World Needs Dule Hill

Well, kids, Amanda's out of town for the weekend, so we all know what that means ... it's time for another TV roundup issue.

I just watched what might be the best new show that comes out all year, and the biggest surprise is that it's on the USA Network. Yes, I'm talking about Psych. Hilarious. The premise is this: a slacker with a knack for detail (James Roday) gets into some trouble with the law and lies to the cops about being a psychic. For some reason, he convinces his straight-laced friend (Dule Hill from The West Wing) to go in on the ruse with him. Hilarity ensues. I'll be back next week. If you happen to catch the pilot episode, by the way, make sure you stick around for the credits. Let's just say that Dule Hill does a mean Michael Jackson impression during some outtakes of one of the scenes. Good stuff.

Speaking of Michael Jackson, my buddy Jeremy just texted me to say that he's at Michael Jackson's father's birthday party in Las Vegas right now. We have yet to find out if he was serious, and if so, how in the hell that is possible.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't really way too excited about the new season of Rockstar. My loyal longtime readers (hi mom!) might remember my obsession with last year's installment of Rockstar: INXS. Well, that had a lot to do with the fact that I used to be a huge INXS fan (15 years ago), but it was also a really good show. Anyway, the new season of Rockstar: Supernova kicked off on Wednesday, and I'm not sure what I was doing at the time, but I managed to TiVo it, so I'm watching it right now. Brooke Burke looks as hot as ever, and Dave Navarro looks just as creepy as I remember him. The band this year is a "supergroup" (in the absolute loosest sense of the word) made up of Tommy Lee, Jason Newstead (formerly of Metallica) and Gilby Clarke (formerly of Guns 'n' Roses). They're a bunch of scrubs, to be sure (with the possible exception of Tommy Lee), but I'm excited for some good, old fashioned, hard rocking as the season progresses. Also, I'm pretty excited to see that it looks like Gilby Clarke borrowed Kirk Pengilly's wispy mustache from last season. Somebody's got to keep that thing on TV.

HOLY CRAP! I'm watching the first episode right now, and one of the contestants is Patrice Pike, who is from Austin and used to front the band Little Sister, who we used to see all the time in college. I think they might have played one of my fraternity parties. Maybe not, but I seem to remember that. Anyway, this chick rocks, and she nailed her performance. The band dug her. I hope she does well. So far, some of the performances have been rather mediocre, but I'm certainly not going to stop watching.

Another reason I'm excited about this show is that I scored two tickets for Amanda and me to go to a taping this Sunday!! I'll have to find out which night that show is going to air (Wednesday or Thursday of this week, I'm guessing), and I'll post the details. Look for us. We'll be on CBS with our Eye on America.

I'm heading to the Dodger game tomorrow with some friends. Can't pass up the chance to boo Barry Bonds in person. Here's what I think about him. Here's what MC Hammer thinks about him. You can decide for yourself which of us you agree with.

No comments: